Welcome

Sewing, Cooking, and Writing! oh, my!

Monday, February 28, 2011

Recycled Curtains

When I first moved into our house, the hubby had generic Target curtains that he hung from a pressure rod and looked like something you would see in a college man's bachelor pad.
After looking at these for the last year, I finally got sick of them and decided that we needed grown up curtains!

So I broke out the sewing machine, tore down the ugly curtains, and cut them up!

We had four different kinds of curtains in the house: blue, green, brown, and brown striped. So I used the blue for a base and took a piece from the striped to put as a strip across the bottom. That curtain also had a ribbon going down it (for tying it up) so I cut that off and used sewed it over the seam.
Much better! I am very happy with the way they turned out! It looks like a girl lives here!

The next problem came that I didn't have enough blue fabric to make the same curtains for the adjoined dining room. But I had plenty of brown fabric so I made a reverse curtain with a brown base, blue stripe, and I took some left overs from the striped curtain to make a ribbon. This way the curtains still complement each other.
The lines are a little crooked but overall I like how it turned out.
Here is a picture of the two sets of curtains together.

The best part is that it was 100% recycled materials!
I still have a little fabric left over so I plan to make a skirt for the TV!

No comments:

Post a Comment